Humanities & Liberal Studies
There are four subjects in the Department of Humanities & Liberal Studies, viz. Economics, Geography, Chinese History and Liberal Studies. The aim of these subjects is to develop students' social and humanistic perspective so to help them make judgments on issues in local community, the nation and the world.
Economics is a study of the choices that individuals and societies make about how to allocate their scarce resources among competing uses. It is a social science, applying scientific methods of analysis to problems of human interaction.
Major topics covered in the syllabus of HKDSE include:
To broaden students’ horizons, useful seminars and competition activities on economics and financial related topics will be arranged for different grades.
To guide students in the "Extension of trade theory", to understand the key concepts and theories of absolute advantage, comparative advantage, and gains from trade by using the production possibilities frontier (PPF).
In the part of “Economic Growth and Development”, it is important for students
to understand that economic growth and development are two related, but
Geography is an integrated study of people, places, landscapes and environments. We work together to deepen students' understanding of the world and the contemporary challenges such as climatic change, food security and energy choices that students may face in the future.
• To promote Geography as a dynamic and exciting subject so as to inspire students'
passion and interest in the subject.
• To give students a broad understanding on the processes that shape the landscape
patterns in Hong Kong, China and the rest of the world.
• To foster students' caring attitude towards world issues and challenges.
• To develop supportive values and attitudes, which help create and maintain a
sustainable environment and cultivate a sense of belonging to our society and
• To develop a range of transferable generic skills needed for life-long learning,
such as critical thinking.
With regard to students’ performance and the comprehensive review in the past, major arrangements are made:
• All students have to complete at least one project work;
• Emphasizing in keywords and concepts drilling to strengthen students' competence
in handling public examinations;
• Map reading and practical skills for Grade 7 to 12;
• At least two local trips for Grade 10 and 11 students, and one overseas visit to
Taiwan in May 2015.
醫學通識年賽 2017 - 愛滋病通識盃 - 冠軍 (2017)
「社會科學通識年賽2015/16 - 環保通識盃」- 亞軍 (2016)